In another demonstration of China’s growing financial clout, a Chinese industrialist has purchased a top winery in France’s Bordeaux region.
According to sources close to the deal, a 45-year-old Chinese industrial purchased Chateau Bellefont-Belcier, a Grand Cru classified estate in France’s prestigious Saint Emilion wine-making area.
Chinese investors have acquired about 30 other properties in Bordeaux (the larger region that includes Saint Emilion) in the last two years, although this is the first estate of the Grand Cru category to change over into Chinese hands.
The chateau, which had been on the market for a number of years, has 13 hectares of vines and total land of 20 hectares. A source close to the transaction said the final price was between Euros 1.5 million and 2 million euros (US$1.95 million to US$2.6 million) per hectare of vines.
The sale had been in negotiation for a number of months, but the price was not finalized until after the announcement in September of a once-in-a-decade reclassification of Saint Emilion wines, which confirmed the estate’s Grand Cru status.
In commenting on recent purchases of the wine estates by Chinese investors, an official with the French government said that he expects another 10 chateaux could be sold to Chinese buyers by the end of the year if bureaucratic obstacles can be overcome.
Sign up for our newsletters
- Greenland Sells RMB 1.5 Bil in Sydney Homes in First Weekend
- SOHO China's Zhang Xin Beats Out Brad Pitt to Buy NY Townhouse
- Shanghai Tower Crane Operator Wins Photo Prize
- RightSite Featured in Wall Street Journal Article on China's Warehouse Market
- Singapore Developer Sets Shanghai Land Price Record with Huangpu Buy
- What Bloomberg is Afraid to Report About China's Richest Man
- More defaults expected at China’s property trusts – Today’s China Real Estate Links | December 6, 2013
- Shui On Land Sells Chongqing Office Tower for RMB2.4 Bil
- Wang Jianlin Loses #1 China Billionaire Spot to Robin Li – Today’s China Real Estate Links | December 5, 2013
- Evergrande Joins with Harvard to Build Hospitals in China
- China Real Estate Giants Now Investing in Harvard
- GLP Extends Cooperation with COFCO to Lease 30,000 Sqm (323,000 Sq Ft) in China
- China final HSBC factory PMI eases to 50.8 in November
- Johnson Controls opens Chengdu plant to supply Volvo
- GLP Launches US$3 Billion China Logistics Fund
- Mercedes-Benz Opens Engine Factory in China
- Merck to build new pharmaceutical manufacturing plant in China